medical insurance

Why do you need to apply for medical insurance?

Medical or dental treatment in Canada is not free. All BMI international students need to have adequate insurance to cover any medical care or accidents while they are in Canada.

What are my options for medical insurance?

If you are studying in Canada for more than 12 months, you are eligible to register for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP), the basic insurance coverage for all Albertans. This plan is free of charge and covers visits to the doctor, lab costs, hospital costs if you are admitted to the hospital. Detailed instruction can be found here:

AHCIP does not cover:

  • Prescription drugs
  • Rehabilitation needs
  • Dental services
  • Ambulance transport